Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bag Lady

Soon it will be exactly one year since I arrived in Belize- the 1st of February 2009.
I remember so well my arrival at the cute little Philip Goldson airport in the mid-day heat. I was exhausted after wrapping up my job in Sri Lanka, packing up the house, saying emotional good byes to friends and staff, and then making a 32-hour trip journey across the world.
Michel had already been here for a couple of months. He was renting an apartment as he did not dare to choose a house without the approval of his wife (very wise, darling).

Actually, he was not sure if I would want to live in Belmopan, being the small and rather boring town (oh sorry, city) it is. He thought that his cosmopolitan wife might prefer to live in Belize City. And so he drove me, straight from the airport, to Belize’s former capital for a sight seeing tour. It had just rained and the streets were clogged with water and dirt. I found Belize City a dump, even by developing country-standards.

The one-hour drive from Belize City to Belmopan was an enjoyable experience though, and upon arrival in Belmopan I was pleasantly surprised. It looked clean, with wide streets, and surrounded by green grass and parks. Okay, the three run-down buildings that make up the ‘down-town’ area did not impress me, but compared to Belize City (and to Sri Lanka) Belmopan felt like a haven of greenery, cleanliness, and peace.


This ‘clean feeling’ lasted until a couple of months ago. To be precise: until a lawn mowing tractor cut the grass besides the highway. Wow, was I mistaken! I tried to stop the tractor to get pictures of ‘before’ and ‘after’ trimming, but it was already on its way back, leaving all the rubbish, the Styrofoam boxes, and plastic bags exposed. Beauty dies where litter lies, I thought.

Solid waste management is an issue in Belize. The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) has recently approved an 11 million USD loan to strengthen the Solid Waste Management Authority. I hope it includes a component to educate people about littering. We’ll have to wait a few years to see the results.

In the meantime, I try to contribute to a clean environment by refusing to accept plastic bags, whether at the vegetable market or the Chinese supermarkets, where they try to put every piece of soap, loaf of bread, or tin of peeled tomatoes in a separate little bag.

I like to preach to the cashiers and clients, saying things like: ‘Did you know that it takes a hundred years before a bag like this disintegrates’? Mostly they stare at me as if I am from another planet.
 
Well, maybe I am. Maybe I am a strange white bag lady, the only one in Belmopan who brings her own shopping bags into the store. I don’t care. It is my mission. To be perfectly honest, I am proud to be a supermarket missionary. I just wish I was able to convert more souls

.

5 comments:

  1. Well, you've certainly encouraged me. I will be relocating there in July from Colorado Springs, Colorado (via 6 months here in Mexico City) and hope to follow your exemplary example in helping to keep Belmopan as pristine as possible. Every little bit helps as every litter bit hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hai Susanne,

    Mijn naam is Simone Engeln. Ik ben een vriendin van Chantelle & ik zag dat jij op haar Facebook fotos had gereageerd en daar iets had gezegd over een groep met 5-jarigen. En, aangezien ik probeer uit te vinden wie tegenwoordig les geeft aan de kleuters bij BCA, klikte ik op jouw naam en kwam dus uiteindelijk hier terecht. En kijk aan...je bent nog Nederlands ook! En je woont in Belmopan! Leuk! (alleen geloof ik niet dat jij juf bent bij BCA, of wel?)

    Anyway, ik kom vanaf komende zomer weer met mijn familie in Belize wonen & ben ook in het land van 4-25 Feb.

    Het is altijd leuk om te weten dat weer 'nieuwe' families wonen in Belmopan (wij zijn 2 1/2 jaar weg geweest) Hoe oud zijn jouw kids? En zitten zij op BCA?

    Groetjes, Simone
    4angelsimone@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 22, 2012

    You write well. And I'm impressed about the forthcoming honesty. I'm from the states; considering a move to Cayo region myself. Undecided at present. I realize this blog is a bit outdated but found myself reading and reading your blog. Good luck to you and your family Whereever you are!.. p.s. I've visited your native land serveral times and have to tell you; in many ways the Nederlands are cutting edge. Regards, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. loan offer in 48 hours.
    Hi Do you have financial problems? And those who have trouble getting capital loans from local banks and other financial institutions. Please refer to this E-mail address: maurogiovanni00@gmail.com

    whatsapp: +55 11 97 6315 893

    ReplyDelete
  5. loan offer in 48 hours.
    Hi Do you have financial problems? And those who have trouble getting capital loans from local banks and other financial institutions. Please refer to this E-mail address: maurogiovanni00@gmail.com

    whatsapp: +55 11 97 6315 893

    ReplyDelete