Friday, November 27, 2009

La Isla Bonita

"Last night I dreamt of San Pedro...it all seemed like yesterday not far away...
Tropical the island breeze, all of nature wild and free, this is where I long to be, la isla bonita..."

Who doesn't know this 1987 Madonna song ? Last weekend we finally went to San Pedro, on the largest and most touristy island on the Belize coast. I was told that Madonna's song was based on San Pedro here in Belize, and the island makes good use of world-famous song..."Come to San Pedro, la Isla Bonita"...you can hear it and see it in advertisements and on sign boards all over the place.

I stayed at a beautiful resort Porto Fino, owned by Jan and Sandra. He is Dutch, she is Belgian, a well-known combination to us! They have a daughter the same age as Soleine. Captain Jan picked me up with his boat and Sandra welcomed me with a rum punch decorated with red hibiscus flowers. It is a picture perfect place, green sea, white sand, wavy palm trees.

Later on I read that Madonna had actually never heard of San Pedro Belize when she wrote that song. In an interview she said: " "I don't know where San Pedro is, at that point I was not a person who went on vacation to beautiful islands".

Well, that is tough luck for Madonna. I assume that by now she is 'that kind of person', and I really recommend that she go to San Pedro and Porto Fino!

2 comments:

  1. Sandra van NoordNovember 29, 2009

    Hi Susanne, Jan and I truly enjoyed it having you here with us!
    Thank you so much for the nice writing!!! Louke had a great time with Soleine and we hope to see you soon again, here with us, or in Belmopan.
    Lots of warm wishes from all of us!
    Sandra, Jan, Louke and Jan Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanne,

    Great blog. Now I want to travel to Belize!

    Slapshot

    ReplyDelete