Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Stuff

Our container has arrived in the port of Belize city. Yeah yeah yeah! After traveling at sea for almost three months - from Colombo to Singapore to Hongkong to Panama to Jamaica – our 88 boxes should arrive in our new house in Belmopan TODAY!

Everyone who has ever shipped stuff must know this feeling… I always consider it the best day since arriving the new country. Knowing Belize as an easy-going country, we’re expecting the container to be released and brought to our house the same day. But, from experience we also know not have expectations and to apply the ‘first see then believe’ principle.

Funny enough, I have half forgotten what’s in it. Apart from two princess dresses of which my daughter constantly reminds me, my newly acquired mega-painting from Sanjeewa Kumara
and my salad spinner I can’t say I miss much. Having been here for three months, I have bought all there is to buy in Belmopan, which includes essentials such as beds and plates but of course not books, CDs, toys nor pictures, just to name a few items.

But, I must say it is actually kind of nice to have a tidy house without clutter. For the first time in my expat life I wonder if it is worth it to constantly travel with all your stuff and to pay large sums of money for the shipments (which, mind you, we have to pay ourselves).

Eventually, the container came four days after its arrival in the country. A customs officer was present at our house when we unsealed it. Out came our 88 boxes with the forgotten items – according to what the Sri Lankan packers had written on them, such as: cresmas deceracion, helmuts, ormanents, pientings and ladies axeceseres. Add to that Soleine’s books in three languages, family photos, pretty bed sheets and my Abba CDs and the answer to the question: is it worth the time and money to take your personal stuff when you regularly travel half the world, becomes easy:- without a doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment