Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Clappy School

Let me tell you a little about my daughter. She is four (going on ten). In Sri Lanka she used to go to a preschool named Stepping Stones, a great school for little people.

As soon as we arrived in Belmopan, I inquired about schools. Many people pointed to BCA, supposedly the best and only 'international' school in Belmopan. So, on our first Thursday we went to check it out..me being as excited as Soleine.

My first impression was okay from the outside. A dozen small wooden buildings on stilts, one for each class, painted white, looking like a cute holiday village. Inside though, the classroom was very small and not half as neat as Stepping Stones in Colombo. Old plastic toys, wobbly furniture and awfully dirty and ripped floor covers.

BCA stands for Belize Christian Academy. That was my second uneasiness. It is a very Christian school: with crucifixes in its logo, God in its overall objective and compulsory clapping to Jesus on Fridays. It's just not my thing. I find that schools should not be involved in preaching one single religion only. But according to the Belize government, all schools are required to have a religious affiliation.

To be very honest: I was disappointed. Was this the best school of Belmopan? Then I met Soleine's teacher. She is Chantelle, and she is a star. I respect anyone who can keep 14 toddlers busy from 8.30 to 15.30, but if you can keep them busy in a meaningful and fun way, you're a super star! So I asked myself: what is most important for a 4 year old: proper facilities or a proper facilitator? And, will the religious 'brain washing' have a permanent effect on her 4-year old psyche?


What do you believe?

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 04, 2011

    Hi Susanne, and thanks for taking all this time to put this blog up. It has provided my family with lots of information, and entertainment.
    If you are not a "religious" person, you cannot know how much this is a part of who you are, what you do, think etc. It is not something you turn on and off as suits the setting. People are always criticizing those with strong beliefs, labelling them as narrow-minded, but i don't see the point of believing in something half-heartedly. In that case, there are no absolutes, and everything becomes a "whatever suits me best" religion. Under those circumstances, you might as well give it your own name, but certainly don't call yourself a christian. I would say those folks at the school are just staying true to their hearts and the committment they have made to God, so as not to be the hypocrite that Jesus refers to in Revelation 3 when he says, "I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth".
    Don't worry about the "brain washing". A true conversion is made from the heart, and will become a daily part of someone's life, not just the sunday rituals.
    Thanks again, and happy travel and writing.

    ReplyDelete